Saturday, April 2, 2011

Stewardship

I was at a leadership retreat where we were discussing organizational maturity.  The fourth level, which is where I am trying to take my organization, is called Stewardship.  This requires a true acceptance of accountability for oneself (no blaming others) and commitment to the greater good (taking one for the team).

In trying to communicate the meaning of stewardship, we started with an exercise where people introduced what they are stewards of in their everyday lives.  The parents all noted they are stewards of their children.  One young girl stated she is a steward of her parents' expectations.  I stated that I was a steward of the joy that a healthy and beautiful pup brings to its new family.  As I watched each family leave with their pup, observing their excitement and commitment to this new addition to their family, I felt the sense of satisfaction that comes from being a steward of joy through my pups.  It is very rewarding......

No comments:

Post a Comment